Sunday 20 June 2010

American 'Whore'itage

It's the whore of all classes at byu... AmHtg100.
It is the only class that has it's very OWN department. I suppose you can expect that from such an evil class... And I would go on to tell you that it is from the devil, but apparently the First Presidency is to thank for this monster.
Literally tho- there is a mandated gpa ave that must be kept: 2.9! How rude! So if a class is above that, they curve all scores down. Why? To keep an equal level of difficulty throughout professors and locations. Clever, i guess. But still rude.
And the reading! My word! It doesn't help that I took the class in Spring, thus doubling the work load. But between multiple daily quizzes asking for specific names, concepts, and terms that were supposedly embedded somewhere in my 120 pages of reading... a huge fat major research paper... and century long tests that gave me hand cramps and anxiety attacks!
This class was my nemesis.
It consisted of 3 topics: History, Politics, and Economics. I am convinced they said, "Lets take all of Jerica's weakest possible subjects and throw them into one class and then require she take it."
RUDE!
He gave us a quiz on the first day trying to see our background on the three previously mentioned topics. I got a nice big ZERO!
But on my defense, I kept myself naive for a reason. I saw others deal with these technicalities... and it causes so much stress and turmoil! Plus we've heard time and time again how corrupt our government is and how hopelessly fast things are spiraling downward. Why would I want anything to do with it? I mean i vote... isn't that good enough? This class taught me that no, it is not good enough.
So alas, this class gave me no choice. And so i bit the bullet and dove right in. It was brutal. And it hurt. But I came out alive! And let me tell you about how it affected me.

BYU's motto is something about "enter to learn, go forth to serve"
This class brought the motto to life.
I learned more information in this one class then I think I have in my whole lifetime. I mean it's not like America was born over night.
I had multiple testimony-fortifying experiences in this class.
You know BYU's doing their job if you're sitting in a non-religion class thinking "Dang the Lord really knew what he was doing. He is genius, and I couldn't be more grateful for Him."
(That was during an economics lecture.)
At the beginning of the class, i tried to figure out a way to avoid the reading and get away with not learning all of that boring absurd political economic history crap.
But I couldn't have been more wrong. I am forever grateful for this class. I managed to slide by every history class, not learning a single thing up to this point.
But it was no longer avoidable. I HAD to learn how the government worked/works. About the wars. About the economy.
It was fascinating.
I've been told many times in my youth that I should go to law school. I have the drive, the ability, and the potential for it. But not the desire. I gave law school a second thought...
(This is coming from a blonde, juicy-wearing, dancer in Cottonwood Heights Utah. Stereotypes my butt!)
This class changed my life.
I could write a whole book about half of what i learned and how it has impacted me, but i will spare you... (although i Will write a book before i die)
And maybe i didn't always finish my readings, or do fantastically on my tests, but that is because i am more interested in learning than performing. Right now at least. For instance: now that i'm done with my boring psych professor, i think i'll go back and actually read that book.
Point of the story: Although I will rightfully call it American 'Whore'itage, I thank the Brethren for forcing me to take the class and changing my life because of the enlightenment and inspiration it provided.
I can now tell you all about why it is horrible to raise min wage, which kings were gay, how American came to be, all about the major supreme court cases/judicial review, and what laissez faire means for the economy. And that's only the tip of the ice berg.
*My AMAZING professor Bro Fish is very much to thank.
Thank you, thank you American 'Whore'itage.

4 comments:

  1. oh yeah? well, american heritage thinks you're a whore too! and, seriously, why doesn't firefox recognize "american" as a correctly spelled word?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha way to kill the piercing criticism with a statement of you not realizing that 'American' needs to be capitalized! Who's the whore now!? bahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's not like i slept with the creator of firefox, so, no, i am not a whore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't put it past ya... whore.

    ReplyDelete


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com