Wednesday 9 June 2010

Because I Am A Queen

Indie Arie said it best when she said:

Sometimes I shave my legs and sometimes I don't Sometimes I comb my hair and sometimes I won't Depending on how the wind blows I might even paint my toes It really just depends on whatever feels good in my soul

I'm not the average girl from your video And I ain't built like a supermodel But I learned to love myself unconditionally Because I am a queen I'm not the average girl from your video My worth is not determined by the price of my clothes No matter what I'm wearing I will always be The [miss jerica bree]

When I look in the mirror and the only one there is me Every freckle on my face is where it's supposed to be And I know my creator didn't make no mistakes on me My feet my thighs my lips my eyes I'm loving what I see

Am I less of a lady if I don't wear pantyhose My mama said a lady ain't what she wears but what she knows But I've drawn the conclusion It's all an illusion Confusion's the name of the game A misconception a vast deception, Something's got to change

Don't be offended this is all my opinion Ain't nothing that I'm saying law This is a true confession Of a life-learned lesson I was sent here to share with y'all So get in where you fit in Go on and shine Clear your mind Now's the time Put your salt on the shelf Go on and love yourself 'Cause everything's gonna be alright

Keep your fancy drink and your expensive minks I don't need that to have a good time Keep your expensive cars And your caviar All's I need is my guitar Keep your cristal and your pistol I'd rather have a pretty piece of crystal Don't need your silicone I prefer my own What god gave me is just fine.

Too often these days people sell themselves short or thrive aimlessly on skin deep insecurities. Its time to embrace our flaws and proactively pursue a happier lifestyle. I was raised by a strong, confident single mother who instilled these truths in me. "Nobody can love you until you love yourself" she would tell me. It is so true because even if somebody does love you, you won't be able to feel it until you find yourself worthy of such. Now Confidence is tricky because it often gets mixed up with pride. And humility often gets mixed up with insecurity. But there is a balance to be found, and you'll be glad to hear that i've seen it done. But until then... Fake it til you make it. But don't be fake. When you finally learn to love yourself, it will show. And this pursuit is worth everything. Being humble And confident is the ultimate goal. Being cocky is titled in psychology as inferiority overcompensation. And it means just what it says- you are trying to make up for your insecurities but end up going overboard. Some signs: Always needing attention, being uncomfortable in silence or alone, having to be the loudest one in the room, too much make-up, swearing or putting others down, and not being able to laugh at yourself etc. (No James, i'm not self conscious).

The opposite to that is taking the counterfeit humility and becoming a doormat. The key is to think you are GREAT, but not GREATER than others. You should think you are wonderful and love yourself, but its when you start placing yourself above others that you have gone too far. When someone tells you you're awesome at something, take it in and say thank you! but don't use it to fill your empty glass, humbly add it to your full one and cherish every drop. I believe that is the key. I have a friend Emily, and she gave out compliments like it was her job. And people would often say... 'yeah whatever' or 'haha i don't think so' or 'stop it' and she would literally get mad at them and say 'Why don't you agree that you are awesome?' God didn't make second-string individuals. Elder Broadhead feels the same way. He willingly dishes flattering comments, and expects you to take them graciously and not play the 'oh thats not true' game.

Is it a constant battle, and will it always be? Absolutely. But I encourage you to never quit fighting. There will be ups and downs, eb and flow, but its only when you give up that you lose.

Like everyone, i've had my thin days...

and my less than thin days...

My cute days...

And my not so cute days...

But its about happiness and the pursuit thereof. If you stop peddling, you'll stop moving, so we must always be seeking a love for life and ourselves. We should constantly be improving ourselves and keeping up our appearance, but if you don't have a heart to match then its useless. I could rattle off half a dozen of my own insecurities, but your God is where your heart is, and i know my God goes far beyond looks. Its about being healthy, seeking a fit body and balanced eating, looking your best, but not depending on such external factors to bring you happiness. If you do, i'm afraid your insecurities will always outrun you. I am Jerica Bree, and I am awesome and have been my whole life thanks to the wonderful people around me, the struggles i've overcome, the progress i've made, and the God that made me. Just because others or you yourself don't always see it doesn't mean its not there. Ask God, he'll tell ya.

*Because I am a Queen*

2 comments:

  1. as i read this entry - "I am not my hair" was playing. ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGs. great words from a great woman. it was fabulous to chat with you today and get to know more about you. looking forward to DANCING again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. as discussed before, i love india arie. she is so raw and real and a WOMAN! i think it's awesome that you can look at yourself with such clarity. there are still girls from my high school that were caught up in their popularity like you used to be and they still just don't GET it. i'm amazed you've let the gospel take over and your relationship with heavenly father has let you see who you really are -- a literal daughter of god. it's so hard not to share the light when you feel it. and why should you hide it? it's your duty to help others feel it, too :)

    ReplyDelete


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com