Monday 7 June 2010

Risk Management, This is Jerica

So I have a really intense post coming up... but its not quite ready for posting. So until then- I've been needing to do a blog about my job!
I work for Brigham Young University Risk Management. (Used to be Risk Management and Safety, but then we dropped the 'and safety'. It was colossal.)
I have worked here for almost two years now. It was my first college job, and a blessing at that. Most people have no clue what Risk Management is. Honestly- i didn't either until i worked here. I won't bore you to death- but here's an overview. We have Safety Officers and Insurance people. Our safety officers handle things like gas leaks, or safety regulations on campus. Our insurance people do Workers Comp and any BYU accidents. Our better half is Environmental Management (previously referred to as Chemicals Management, another colossal name change). But they are in a completely different building. Here, we do asbestos and lab safety/radiation, all kinds of training, etc. We have the greatest guys here. Some of the smartest men/scientists on the planet that just about cried when i told them i almost failed Physical Science. The Fire Marshall is also in our department. He's great and always plays pranks on me or chases me around with a fire extinguisher. And all the lovely ladies that work here... are incredible!

* Now let me tell you about what I do. I am the Insurance Assistant. I handle pre-accident insurance. For instance, if somebody wants to come onto campus to either cater, do concessions, have an activity etc. they have to be approved by me. The other side is if people are leaving campus- a film shoot or field trip or rafting trip etc. I give them proof of insurance to give to the place they are going. That is the bulk of my job, but i do lots of other things like answer the phones, help with insurance policies and handle general department tasks. I love my job! Insurance isn't exactly the most thrilling thing in the world... but i seriously work with the greatest people on the planet. It is worth every second. This job has been just as much a part of college as my schooling has. And I have finally worked my way to the point where I know the trade and am very familiar with the whole department. I may be leaving before i graduate, though, due to career demands. But until then i will love every moment and remain a proud Risk Management employee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment


MusicPlaylistView Profile
Create a playlist at MixPod.com